Saturday, April 17, 2010

Moofies - The Room (2003)

EXPECTATIONS: I've seen the Tommy Wiseau episode of Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! and I expect to laugh so much it hurts while watching this strange, awful movie.

REALITY: I should preface this review with the circumstances in which I saw this film.

I went to the first screening of The Room in Perth, and it was about 10:30pm when the pre-movie party started. A DJ was playing/mixing Argento soundtracks while we all ate free donuts and got drunk on free booze. After 45 minutes of this we all crammed into the cinema. A pre-movie annoucement instructed us of the rules for watching The Room. When you see the Denny character arrive you yell "Hi Denny" and when he leaves you yell "Bye Denny". There is a framed picture of a spoon in the film. Whenever it is on screen you tell "Spoon!" and throw spoons at the screen. Whenever one of the many awful sex scenes in the film begin you boo. Whenever the camera is unfocused you yell "focus!". Whenever something misogynistic is going on, you yell "because you're a woman!". There were more, but look them sup yourself. What's important is that from start to finish the entire audience for this film was screaming and yelling and extremely involved in the interactive enjoyment of one of the worst films I have ever seen.

Tommy Wiseau is an enigma. He has the strangest accent I've ever heard, and watching him perform is like nothing I've ever seen before. The storyline for this film is so simple and completely ridiculous, and the ending is epic and dumb. It's a self-proclaimed "black comedy" but I think that's just because it doesn't really fit in any other category. When it's trying to be intentionally funny it's just awful. When it's trying to be dark it's just stupid. When it's trying to be dramatic it's just ridiculous.

I now have a copy of The Room to watch whenever I like, and I will enjoy it many times I'm sure, but nothing will beat the experience of watching this crap with a large, loud, interactive, mostly drunk audience. I haven't laughed that hard in ages.

Judging the film on it's actual quality, against other films that are actually good, I give this 1/2 a star, purely for the fact that Wiseau is completely unique. Enjoyment wise, I give The Room 5 stars, because I loved every stupid frame of it.

jej

No comments: