Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Moofies - The Crazies (2010)

EXPECTATIONS: Yet another horror film remake. I haven't actually seen the original Romero film so I'm going in totally blind here. The trailer looks promising, and I think Timothy Olyphant and Radha Mitchell can carry a film, so hopefully this will be as eery as it promises to be.

REALITY: This was a little bit heartless, which is a shame. The simple plot is strong enough to provide a creepy setting and there are a couple of jumpy horror moments, but I didn't care as much as I could have. Olyphant and Mitchell are a couple living in a small town in Iowa. A virus breaks out that makes people start acting all crazy and violent. The government swoops in to try and contain the situation and chaos ensues. This is as solid a premise for a horror film as any, but the few "emotional" scenes that are present were pretty weak and I think they let down the film quite a bit. Also, there is a lack of consistency in how the virus actually affects people. Some of them stare blankly into the distance before and after they kill people, while others seem exactly the same as they were before the virus, just a bit more violent. It doesn't make a huge amount of sense, and I'm pretty sure that the original would be a better alternative to watching this, but all that said, this wasn't too bad. It just wasn't all it could have been.

***

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like Olyphant & Mitchell, but it sounds like this maybe needs better scripting or directing. Hmm.