Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Moofies - The Midnight Meat Train (2008)

EXPECTATIONS: I've been shown a scene where Ted Raimi gets his head smashed in with a hammer and a slow-mo shot shows his eye falling from his head and blood splattering everywhere. I've also been told that I will enjoy this by a friend who knows that I will enjoy this, so I expect I will enjoy this.

REALITY: How did this film get made? That's what I kept thinking throughout this entire film. I enjoyed it, but the storyline and the script felt like something that I would see in one of those rare b-grade films that manages to be interesting and a little scary but star no one you've ever seen before, or perhaps someone from a TV show that's been cancelled for five years. This is an odd film.

Bradley Cooper plays Leon, a photographer who is trying to capture the heart of New York on film. Brooke Shields, an art dealer, pushes Leon to try and capture something more dangerous, more 'real'. Leon thinks he has found a mass murderer, Vinnie Jones, and begins to follow him. A very strange story unravels.

It's great to see Bradley Cooper in something where he isn't the funny guy or the romantic interest; he's pretty good. It's just strange to see name actors in a film that combines fairly believable dramatic scenes with totally gory slow-mo shots. The film's finale is bizarre, but it sort of makes sense in the context of the film; I wasn't completely and utterly surprised because the clues sort of led to the end in a way. There were a few moments where I found myself a little scared and "oh my God! What's going to happen?" which is always a nice surprise. There are also some other moments where plot points are left dangling, but on the whole this was pretty enjoyable. I still have no idea why it exists, but I'm not complaining.

***

No comments: