Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Favourite Television Characters Of All Time - Part Five
























#5 - Homer Simpson - an animated alcoholic - The Simpsons

When The Simpsons first began Homer was a loud, angry, drunk man who loved his family. He had some likable moments in the first season, but it wasn't until later that Homer Simpson would become the character that we know and love.

He's completely moronic and ignorant, but he's so childlike that his ignorance is forgivable and hilarious. He loves his family, beer, donuts/food, and television. No wonder he's become such a cultural icon. People who don't watch The Simpsons can recognise who Homer is because his face is plastered everywhere. I'm even wearing Duff Beer slippers as I write this, with Homer Simpson's face on them.

When the show began I was young, so I was all "yeah, Bart Simpson is cooool", but it didn't take me long to figure out that Homer Simpson was the reason this show would still be around 21 years later. When the writers get it right Homer is laugh out loud hilarious, but even when the writing is not so strong the character of Homer is pretty much concrete and unchangeable.

This choice was almost Bender or Fry, because as a whole show I much prefer Futurama to The Simpsons, but I just think Homer is awesome. A bald, fat, alcoholic man is a hero to many and it's freaking weird and amazing.

No comments: