Monday, November 22, 2010

Moofies - The Last Airbender (2010)


EXPECTATIONS: I expect very little from this. I may be a huge nerdy nerd face, but there are few fantasy films that I can say I truly enjoyed, and I don't expect this kid's film to be one of them. That being said, The Last Airbender is written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan, and I've continually watched every other film he's put out so why stop now? I don't think we'll be seeing any mermaids living in swimming pools or killer trees, but Shyamalan knows how to make nice looking shots (or his cinematographer does) so we'll see.


REALITY: This is yet another dull, loveless film.


I thankfully didn't see this in 3D, which was reportedly nauseating, but the visual effects look amazing. This reminded me a lot of The Golden Compass, another amazing looking kiddie fantasy film with completely flat characters and a forgettable storyline.


On a side note, Airbender is strangely racist. The good guys look like they're costumed to be Inuits, but they're all played by whiter than white Americans, and the bad guys are all dark skinned. It's a little strange, and I'm sure acts as yet another aspect that will piss off fans of the original Nickelodeon cartoon series.


*1/2

No comments: